Monday, March 2, 2009

Asian Inspired Hodgepodge

Tonight was a bit crazy. The idea was to make lettuce wraps and dumplings. The lettuce wrap filling recipe was from Vegan Planet, but I changed it around a bit and ended up adding half of a pack of tofu and cooking the stuff. The flavors were quite good, and the red leaf lettuce worked perfectly for the wraps.

When I attempted to make the dumplings, I realized that the wonton wrappers had egg in them. I didn't have time to make them from scratch, so I improvised. I combined a leek (I love leeks!), garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, and the other half of the tofu. I blended it enough to make it chunky but not pureed. The mixture was soft, so I added some wheat flour to try and hold it together. I made little patties and pan-fried them in a little bit of peanut oil. Served with a soy sauce and rice wine vinegar mixture, these things tasted good. I like cooking on the fly, it really tests your skills in the kitchen!


For dessert: a raspberry chocolate layer cake from Veganomicon. This cake is so freaking good.

1 comment:

liz said...

totally agree with you on the "cooking on the fly" thing. some of my best recipes came from having to improvise.