Monday, June 15, 2009

Raw Tacos

This was the first recipe that I tried from my new raw food cookbook. I've seen this dish about a billion times on other blogs, so I figured it was a good place to start! It was so simple to make, but I deviated from the recipe a bit. It's basically nuts, spices, oil (I used flax instead of the olive it called for, but didn't put in nearly as much as said to...I only added enough to help the mixture combine) and Braggs liquid aminos (I used less of this too since I don't like my food very salty). I also added a handful of minced cremini mushrooms for a B-vitamin filler. All of those nuts can be a bit dense, and the mushrooms were a nice way to lighten it up.

I topped the wraps with Ani's Baja "cheese" sauce, avocado, and tomato from the FM. It was a very satisfying meal. It was just enough food to fill me up and was very refreshing. I think next time I'll increase the mushroom to nut ratio and perhaps add some grated carrot or something. Great flavor though...I will definitely make this again!

1 comment:

liz said...

Awesome ! This is (obviously) one of our favorite meals. I use a different nut meat recipe which doesn't call for oil (I think there's enough fat in the nuts). I use a Nama Shoyu and water instead. I also tweak the spices a bit, using a combination of cumin, coriander and Mexican seasoning. I normally add peppers and shredded carrot. Will have to add some mushrooms next time. Good idea !

Glad you enjoyed it. Looks really good !