Thursday, October 2, 2008

Quinoa and biking

I rode home from work again today, and it was significantly easier than last week. I attribute this to the fact that the weather was much more pleasant, and I didn't feel like I was going to melt into the pavement. I also did an official timing of my ride (with my cyclocomputer), and it only took me about 49 minutes to get home. I thought it was closer to an hour. Not too shabby for 11 miles.

For dinner, I wanted to use up the avocados we bought from a neighbor. They apparently have an avocado tree, and will periodically put a little cart out in front of their house with some fresh avocados and a sign that instructs you to put $1.50 in the cup for each fruit you take. The avocados were very good. I'm not sure what kind they were, but even though they were not Hass, they tasted pretty similar.

So the meal I prepared came from "Vegan Fire and Spice," and it was very easy to make. You basically cook the quinoa, and then saute some red onion. Add the onion to the quinoa with some chopped tomatoes, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, S&P, and of course the avocado. It was pretty interesting, and I ended up making this into a wrap. I put some hummus that I also made, the quinoa, lettuce, and sprouts all in a sprouted grain wrap. I'd say it turned out pretty good.

No comments: