Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Riding and Snacking

I rode my bike home from work today. It was another hot day, but overall a good ride. I was definitely in the mood to veg for dinner, so I made this tofu cheesy dip from the Vegan Lunch Box blog:


It uses nutritional yeast to make the cheesy flavor, but I only had the powder (not the flakes). I'm not sure if that made a difference. It turned out ok, but wasn't quite what I was looking for.

I have a basil plant that is being eaten by cabbage loopers, so I wanted to use most of it up (it's almost out of season anyways). I found about 7 of those caterpillars on my plant...and now I have a jar full of them. I didn't know what to do with them, and I certainly didn't want to kill them, so now I'm just feeding them lettuce and watching them get fat. But back to the food...I made a pesto with walnuts, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, 2 garlic cloves (raw garlic is a bit strong for me, I'll only use 1 clove next time) and all of that fresh basil. It turned out really good. Nothing beats fresh pesto! I also made some hummus to eat with the cherry tomatoes and carrots from the farmer's market.

No comments: