Thursday, February 19, 2009

Swimming in Homestyle Goodness

Went for the first swim of the year. I don't think I've swam since September, so I'm definitely out of shape! It felt good to get back in the water again. I'd like to try to go a few days a week until I can build my endurance back up again.

When I got home, it was time to prepare my feast. The menu tonight:

-Chicken-fried Seitan cutlets: These easy to prepare cutlets are amazing. I was intimidated by the thought of making Seitan, but this forgiving recipe turned out great!
-Mashed Golden Potatoes: Typical mashed potatoes (skins on!). Added plain soymilk, Earth Balance, and some pepper. A nice and creamy base for the gravy.
-Punk Rock Chickpea Gravy from VWAV: Everything I make from Isa is always terrific. Don't let the huge list of ingredients scare you, this is not hard to throw together at all.
-Dinosaur Kale and Mustard Greens: I love greens. I was recently turned onto Dino Kale. This type of kale is less bitter than typical kale, and has a sweeter, nuttier taste. I think mustard greens are one of my favorite types of greens. I just steamed the both of these together in vegetable stock, and added a bit of lemon juice at the end. Some people put fancy sauces on theirs, but I'm very much a purist when it comes to my greens!

I wish I knew how to take better pictures, because the images below do not even do this dinner justice!


Close-up of the non-chicken awesomeness:

No comments: